[BNU] Admin's Letter: Being specific with content, recent messages and so on

  • From: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:38:13 -0800

Hi folks,
Hope you're enjoying a wonder start of week (for some, it'd be Tuesday already). Well, CSUN conference in around the corner (although I live close to the site, I can't go since I study); hope HW comes up with a few surprises for KeySoft soon. Just wanted to write to you all about recent messages and content of questions: * Getting the picture across: I'm sure all of us has a favorite book. I think what makes these come alive is a way the author describes the scene in a book, and perhaps allowing us to relate to the characters in that book. But what if all needed details are stripped out? I'm sure not many would enjoy a story that has no details. In the same way, whenever you post a question about a certain situation, having details about what to do (for example, giving us a word on which screen reader you wish to use when using BrailleNote as a braille display with it) could enhance the picture a bit (in some cases, switching from one screen reader to next could have profound impact on how people understand your situation). In short, I'd like to kindly suggest putting in details when posting questions so people who are in similar situations can answer you better. * Thinking before acting: I personally feel thinking because doing something helps me compose myself and guide me how to do certain things. Likewise, if we can think about usefulness of our posts before pressing reply button would cut down private messages being sent to the whole world (after all, I think many would not want private conversations to leak to the press). Same goes with posting the original post to start a new thread. Just a suggestion. * A small warning on podcasts on using websites: I'm not sure how Alex would think of this, but personally, I'd rather not do a podcast on using a specific site with a BrailleNote. As we've seen before, suppose you record a podcast on using a website, but find that it will not work as intended when someone else accesses this site after a day or two. Thus, as a podcaster myself (Alex also produces podcasts, so does a number of us), I'd like to give a small caution when it comes to recording website podcasts. One thccall-known case is the thread of converting YouTube videos to audio via some websites (some of them doesn't work properly anymore because Google changed YouTube in the past months).
Hope this helps.  Have a wonderful week.
Sincerely,
Joseph
BNU List Admin with Alex

IMPORTANT: By default, replies will be sent to individuals. If you feel that your reply
would be useful for others, please use "reply to all" feature in your email
client.

If you wish to unsubscribe from this list, send an email with the subject line of
"unsubscribe" to braillenote-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

From this page, you can unsubscribe, change email delivery settings and view