[BNU] ActiveSync with PK not working under xp, please help!

  • From: "Jay Pellis" <pellis2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 21:12:53 -0500

Hi all

I recently got a hold of a braille note pk and would like to add/delete
files through active sync instead of having to move them via a cf card.  It
is running version 8 build 21.  I followed the directions in the text manual
from humanwares website but no matter what I try, I can't get a
connection/new partnership dialog to appear.  I am connecting via USB.  I
have used windows mobile devices before such as phones so I know how to use
active sync.  I understand that the braille note pk is running windows CE
4.20.

When connecting, the pk is found by windows and it appears in device manager
as windows CE device Microsoft USB sync.  After running active sync and
making sure USB is chosen in connection settings, I choose connect to active
sync in the utilities menu of the pk and nothing happens.  Connection is set
to USB in the misc options of the utilities menu.  I tried a reset holding
down control keys 3 and 4 and still nothing.  Finally, I pressed the space
bar on the connect button in the connection dialog of active sync, hit next
and connected the braille note again when active sync states looking for
mobile device and plays a chime over and over.  This time, before I can hit
connect to active sync in utilities, windows makes a connect sound and I am
brought back to the connection settings dialog.  There is no new partnership
dialog at that point like I assumed there would be.  I also tried with
Bluetooth and seemed to almost have it working but I couldn't find the
security code area on the pc before the looking for mobile device dialog
disappeared.  On the Microsoft page with mobile device center, it states
something like active sync isn't compatible with windows CE 4.2.

I've also tried various versions of active sync such as the newest 4.5 as
well as 4.1 and 3.7 which was the version included on the cd that came with
the pk.  Is there a specific version that works?  I am trying on my main
windows xp laptop and I also tried on a windows 7 machine with no success.
On the 7 machine, I only tried a USB connection.

Does anyone know what might be going on?  Is the humanware manual missing
some directions or just plain wrong?  Is it something on the windows side?
As I said, I would really like to use this method since I want to access the
pk drive directly instead of messing with CF cards.  I've never ran in to an
active sync issue before, you would think once the cable is plugged in, the
braille note would just connect like any other device with out the extra
connection step in the utilities menu.  I also understand this is an older
machine but come on, the braille n speak with win disk was easier to access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sincerely

Jay Pellis