[BNU] Re: Accessing Links in Email Messages

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pjhmuy@xxxxxxxxx>, <braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 10:26:52 -0800

Hi,
Here we go - the below link should take you to a site that has this question
covered:
http://www.braillenoteusers.info/articles/email/Actioning-links-in-email-messages
Here's the text in full:
Background
Many BrailleNote users have used KeyMail, the email application in KeySoft to
send and receive emails and periodicles. Lately, some users expressed concerns
that it is not possible to go to a website from an email message i.e. to action
a link within an email message. Modern email programs, such as Microsoft
Outlook, allow users to open a website using the link address that has been
typed on the email message, such as http://www.braillenoteusers.info/.
Unfortunately, KeyMail does not support this feature, at least not directly.
Fortunately, two methods exist to allow "clicking" URL's embedded within email
messages. The first method involves copying the website address, pasting it
into the address prompt in KeyWeb and going to the site. The second uses an
undocumented command to activate links on emails.
Note: The first method will work on any keySoft version; the second method will
only work properly on BrailleNote Apex running KeySoft 9.1 or later. (Courtesy
of one of the site developers for writing most of the instructions below.)
How?
Depending on your KeySoft version, you can use either the instructions on the
first list or the second list. For versions prior to 9.1, follow the
instructions below:
1. Open the message that contains the link you wish to access.
2. Navigate to the link, with your cursor on the first character of the link.
For example, if the link is www.humanware.com, move to the first "w" on the
website address. If the link starts with "http://,"; move the cursor to the
letter "h.".
3. Mark the "top of block" at the cursor location (BACKSPACE with
M/CTRL+Shift+m on QT or SPACE with B/CTRL+B, T).
4. Navigate to the character just AFTER the last character in the link. For
instance, using the above example of www.humanware.com, you would position the
cursor (by pressing the cursor button or using navigation commands) after the
letter "m".
5. Mark the "bottom of block" (SPACE with B/CTRL+B on QT, b). You will still be
in the Block Commands Menu (press SPACE with B/CTRL+B just in case).
6. Press C (copy block to clipboard) so that the web address is copied to the
clipboard.
7. Open Internet browser (I from Main Menu, BACKSPACE with ENTER with I/FN+0).
8. At the "Address?" prompt, press BACKSPACE with V/CTRL+V to paste the URL
(the address of the link) from the clipboard then press ENTER to open the
webpage.
CAUTION: Remember to erase any hard returns that may have been in the link in
the email.
If you are using an Apex with KeySoft 9.1, follow these instructions:
1. Open the email containing the link. Navigate to the website address and
place the cursor anywhere within the URL text.
2. Press ENTER with DOTS 2-6 (CTRL+Shift+H) to click on the link. KeySoft
should automatically prompt for an address; just press ENTER to open the site.
3. If you click on the link in the manner described in the above steps and are
offered a choice to treat it as an email address or a website URL, press W for
website. KeyWeb then opens at the address prompt with the URL already entered;
press ENTER to open the site.
If the page does not open or you get an error, such as 404:
• Ensure that all new lines and other extra characters are erased from the link.
• Make sure you got the last character (that is, that your cursor was not ON
the last character, but just after it). For example, if the last character of
the URL (link) is the letter "g" put your cursor one character to the right of
the letter "g" - most likely a space character.
• If you are using the UEB braille code, you must go through the link and find
any question marks, placing a letter sign (dots 5-6) before each one.
Otherwise, Keysoft will treat these symbols as quotes and so the link will be
wrong.
Article end

For other handy articles and commands not documented in the user manual, please
visit www.braillenoteusers.info. A lot of experts here learned from that site's
webmaster, who himself was once regarded as an expert.
Cheers,
Joseph
P.S. I'm keeping the BrailleNote Users site alive, as I'm the webmaster there
and am managing other domains.