[brailleblaster] Wrapping

  • From: "Susan Jolly" <easjolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:23:20 -0600

The discussion of wrapping text is getting me confused.

My understanding of wrapping is that when wrapping is on, the display will
temporarily break long lines so they fit within the horizontal constraints
of the display.  Here the  definition of "line" is the text between two
newline symbols. Wrapping is generally done for paragraphs which don't have
embedded newline symbols.

In a standard formatted braille file there is a newline symbol at the end of
every physical line which is typically 40 or less characters. So if you wrap
the braille display because the window isn't wide enough, you will get long
lines alternated with short ones which is hard to read.

I believe that what Braille2000 does to display interlined print is to
compute the maximum font size for each line of print such that that line
does not extend past the corresponding braille.  Alternatively you can just
use the same small font size for each line of print.

This might be a good place to point out that it is easy to change the Content of a StyledText widget. So you could have a button that toggles the content of one of the widgets between interlined print and braille (which you might want to make noneditable) and its standard content.

SusanJ