[brailleblaster] Re: Michael, Why aren't the direcories being created?

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:52:20 -0000

Here are some notes, you may want to read the javadoc for the java.io.File class http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/java/io/File.html

Firstly how are you creating the directory? Please remember that the mkdir() method will not create any required parent directories, if a parent directory does not exist then it will fail. Could this be the problem? If it is overcome it either by manually creating the parent directories or just use the mkdirs() method instead (mkdirs() will create any required parent directories for you), bear in mind though mkdirs() even if it fails may have created some of the parent directories, if that is important to know then manually creating the parent directories might be required. The difference between mkdir() and mkdirs() caught out orca developers as well and lead to a similar problem, however as orca is python I cannot compare the exceptions raised.

Also I am not sure what the situation is regarding creating the directory names, might you be getting multiple separators? While I think java can swallow these without trouble, you may want to look at options like the constructor File(String parent, String child) which will join the parent path and child path for you. Oh why java cannot have a join method like python for joining whole lists of parts of file/path names rather than this constructor which oly takes two parts.

Moving to Java7 would be unlikely to offer anything here I think.

Michael Whapples

-----Original Message----- From: John J. Boyer
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:26 AM
To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [brailleblaster] Michael, Why aren't the direcories being created?

I wrote the code in BBIni.java early and didn't know much about the File
class. So I used a system property to get the file separator. Later I
used the File class to create the settings and temp directories. This
worked fine with the initial paths. Now the directories aren't created
even in Linux, where the paths are much shorter than for Windows. Does
Java have a limit  on the length of apths or on the number of elements
they can contain? Would using Java 7 improve the situation?

Thanks,