[brailleblaster] Cherokee Braille Code developed

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cbtbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Roy Boney <roy-boney@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Discussion of Digital Talking Books <dtb-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>, Mary Ellen <gabias@xxxxxxxxx>, Maryann Kempthorne <maryann.kempthorne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Allan Carlson <Allan.Carlson@xxxxxxxxx>, Elise Lonsdale <elonsdale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, info@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 11:56:58 -0700

A Cherokee Braille code has been developed by Tamara Kearney of the
Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative. This code permits the reading
and writing of the Cherokee syllabary in Braille for the first time.

The Cherokee Braille code permits the "blind, as well as the sighted, to be
able to read and write in their native language."  Ms. Kearney said.

"It’s exciting that our Cherokee citizens who are visually impaired can now
read stories in their first language," said Roy Boney, language program
manager. "We provided copies of our Cherokee Syllabary, sample text and other
items to be able to make Braille in Cherokee a reality. We want to stay in the
forefront by offering the Cherokee language on as many written tools as
possible to preserve and protect our native tongue."

The full description and use of the code can be found at the following URLs:

http://www.cbtbc.org/cherokee
http://www.cbtbc.org/ᏣᎳᎩ

The Cherokee syllabary stands as one of the major advancement in literacy among
the native peoples of North America. It was invented by Sequoyah (ᏍᏏᏉᏯ) [c.
1770-1843] between the late 1810s and early 1820s. The creation of the
syllabary is noteworthy in that Sequoyah could not previously read or write in
any script. It remains today the only example of a modern writing system
developed independent of a previous background in an existing writing system.

The Cherokee Braille code was developed by Tamara Kearney who is also the
developer of the Inuktitut Braille code used by the first nations people of
Canada's far north.

Cherokee Braille is supported in version 2 of Braille2000 a commercial Braille
production system offered by Computer Application Specialties Company of
Lincoln, Nebraska. This permits the publication of Cherokee Braille from
existing and future Cherokee texts. In addition translation tables have been
developed for the open source Liblouis computer braille translation system. It
is hopped that other braille translation system will also include Cherokee as
an option.

http://www.braille2000.com
http://www.liblouis.org

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
605 Robson Street, Suite 850
Vancouver BC V6B 5J3
CANADA
Email: info@xxxxxxxxx