[brailleblaster] Change to slf4j and logback for logging

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 15:51:30 +0100

Hello,
I have changed BrailleBlaster to use slf4j and logback for logging.

The main advantages this has given us is that configuration of the logger is now done in an XML file rather than code, thus a user can customise how logging is done and slf4j allows changing to other logger back ends should you not like logback. or if something better comes along.

Logback is also meant to be far faster than log4j and the java.util.logging packages.

This change though means you will need some additional jar files in dist/lib. At the time of writing this email you will need:
* slf4j-api-1.7.7.jar
* logback-core-1.1.2.jar
* logback-classic-1.1.2.jar

The websites for slf4j and logback are http://www.slf4j.org and http://logback.qos.ch/ respectively.

I have requested that the appropriate jar files are linked to from the BrailleBlaster website.

This change has also been noted in the build.txt file.