[brailleblaster] Building from the repositories

  • From: "Vic Beckley" <vic.beckley3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:22:43 -0400

Scott,

Once you get your system set up so it will build the files you downloaded,
you have to download more programs to copy the repositories and compile
Braille Blaster. Following these steps and links.

To download the liblouis repository you will need a subversion client. I
downloaded SlickSVn from the following link:

http://www.sliksvn.com/en/download

This is a standard windows installer. Once you have installed it, to
download the repository type the following command at the command prompt:

svn co http://liblouis.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ liblouis

This will create a folder in the current folder called liblouis and place
the repository there. To update the copy of the repository switch to the
liblouis folder and type:

Svn update

To build the liblouis-2.dll for Windows, switch to the liblouis\windows
folder and type:

Nmake /f makefile.nmake

If you are running another OS, you are on your own to do this.

Now that you have liblouis downloaded and built, you need to download
liblouisutdml from its repository. To do this you need Mercurial. To
download Mercurial go to the following link:

http://mercurial.selenic.com/downloads/

Again, this is a standard Windows installer. Install it, making sure to
check the check box on the last screen to add Mercurial to your path. Now to
copy the liblouisutdml repository type:

hg clone http://liblouisutdml.googlecode.com/hg/liblouisutdml liblouisutdml

This will create the repository in the liblouisutdml folder in the current
folder. To update the repository you have to switch to the liblouisutdml
folder and type two commands:

Hg pull
Hg update

To build the liblouisutdml.dll for Windows switch to the
liblouisutdml\windows folder and type:

Nmake /f makefile.nmake

This will create the liblouisutdml\windows\brailleblasterlib folder where
you will find liblouis.dll and liblouisutdml.dll. Once you build Braille
Blaster, you will have to copy these DLLs to the brailleblaster\dist folder
before you can run Braille Blaster. The procedure is different for other
Oss.

Now you are ready to download the Braille Blaster repository. It is also a
Mercurial repository so the commands will be familiar. To copy the
repository type:

hg clone http://brailleblaster.googlecode.com/hg/brailleblaster
brailleblaster

This will create the Braille Blaster repository in the brailleblaster folder
in the current folder. To update the repository switch to the brailleblaster
folder and type:

Hg pull
Hg update

To build Braille Blaster you need Apache Ant. You can download it from:

http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi

You will be downloading a zip archive. Unpack it in the same folder where
you copied the repositories to. Really, it doesn't matter where you put
these folders. I put mine in the root of my C: drive so they are easy to get
to at the command prompt. When you unpack the Ant archive you will have a
folder such as apache-ant-1.8.3.

You have to manually set up Ant. You have to set two environment variables
and add Ant to the system path.

If you are using Windows Vista or above, press the Windows key and type
system. Arrow down past the control Panel item. The next item should just
say "System." Press enter on that. Tab to the Advanced Settings link and
press enter. Now tab to the environment Variables link and press enter. You
will be in the list of user variables. Tab to the New button and press
enter. You need to enter two variables as shown.

Java_home c:\program files\java\jdk1.7.0_02
Ant_home c:\apache-ant-1.8.3

The folders will be different on your system. Change them to fit.

Now go back to the list of user variables. If you followed my steps, you
should have a path variable that says "C:\Program Files\Mercurial." Select
that item and tab to the edit button. Press enter to edit the variable. Do
not delete what is already there. Move to the end and type:

Semicolon c:\apache-ant-1.8.3\bin

Your path will be different. Alter it accordingly. Don't forget the
semicolon. Be sure to have it point to the bin folder, not just the Ant main
folder. Press enter on all the OK buttons to close everything out. Now you
should have Ant set up properly.

Next you need to download the *.jar files from the For Developers link on
the Braille Blaster website. At present, there are five of them. Download
them to the brailleblaster\dist\lib folder.

At this point, you should be able to build Braille Blaster by switching to
the brailleblaster folder and simply typing Ant. The brailleblaster.jar file
will be placed in the brailleblaster\dist folder.

Remember, before you can run your new copy of Braille Blaster, you must copy
the DLLs you built into the brailleblaster\dist folder. Now switch to the
brailleblaster\dist folder and run Braille Blaster by typing:

Java -jar brailleblaster.jar

If everything was successful, Braille Blaster will come up and you will have
a pleasant feeling of accomplishment that it actually worked after all that.

I know this sounds really complicated but it really isn't. Once you get
everything set up, it only takes a few quick commands at the command prompt
to update your repositories and build the very latest version available.
Believe me, it is worth all the effort.

I will try to respond as quickly as possible to any questions. I hope this
helps someone to be able to build Braille Blaster. We can use all the new
beta testers we can get.

Best regards from Ohio, U.S.A.,

Vic
E-mail: vic.beckley3@xxxxxxxxx