[bookshare-discuss] Re: speaking of Small's books

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:36:13 -0700 (PDT)

I'd recommend the Kadin, not because t's the first
book she wrote but because the main character is the
ancestress of some of the characters in the later
books. But it takes place more in the Ottoman Empire
than the British Empire. Beloved, too, is a good one
because the historic events and the person herself,
although fictionalized, really existed. --Ooops -- I
just checked -- Beloved isn't in the collection.
Zenobia, Queen of Palmyra, is the main character and
it would be a wonderful addition to the collection.
Again, though, it takes place in the Ottoman Empire,
when it was under Roman rule.

But perhaps Rosamund or Skye O'Malley would be best to
start. I think that after The Love Slave, which was
the first I read because someone here had requested it
and I was scanning in those days, I read Rosamund. It
takes place in England--actually the English/Scottish
border, during the  reign of Henry VII. It will give
you a taste of  the historical detail, costumes, food,
customs, etc. with which she writes. It ends leaving
you wanting to know what happened next, and the sequel
is Until You, which is where Janet Leslie is
mentioned--and so that sent me to read the Kadin to
find out what had happened to Janet Leslie. The third
and final one in that series is Philippa, but neither
of the two was quite as good as Rosamund--still fun
reading, though.

Then there's the Skye O'Malley series, beginning with
Skye O'Malley.  One begins to see a pattern in the
books, but some of the books break the pattern. It
amazes me that all the characters are completely
different and well-rounded in each book. After a while
I skipped the parts describing the meals, although in
the beginning I found them interesting, but I always
enjoy the descriptions of the clothing, because I
imagine and mentally picture them and they make the
people more real to me. If you don't like the sex
parts you can skip those, too, although they're
tastefully done, I think. And the vocabulary used is
such that the bookshare rater doesn't recognize them.

I hope you enjoy  them. And I hope Unconquered gets
found (here's one that doesn't go from England to the
Ottoman Empire but to Tzarist Russia instead, then to
(Turkey), and that Beloved gets scanned.

Cindy

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs