[bookshare-discuss] Re: periodicals on bookshare

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 06:43:15 -0700

At 10:44 PM 6/30/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi, Tony. I agree with you totally. I don't use NLS's recorded services
>unless I absolutely have to due to my hearing impairment. Tapes are an
>absolute last resort for me, so it would be totally cool to have things like
>that available. Take care.

Hi.  Well, I don't have a hearing problem as such, but I just find it very
annoying to try to guess at where an article is on cassette.  In one case,
NLS dropped a magazine for no apparent reason so it is no longer
available.  As Mary pointed out on one of the lists though, it is very hard
to scan printed magazines and you get stuck with ads.  I think the only way
this could work would be directly from the publishers as is now being done
with the newspapers, but publishers are very reluctant about anything like
that.  Another thing which would be nice is computer magazines.  The books
from O'reilly are nice, but it would be nice to get _PC World_ without the
web sites being garbled by the Braille backtranslator.

Peter and staff, I know this is probably all dreaming on my part because
this type of thing would be very hard to implement, but I am hoping.  I
think there would be interest in regularly updated fiction magazines.  If
anyone is brave enough, try scanning a printed magazine and see what
happens.  I have not tried this myself but have been advised that it
doesn't really work.