[bookshare-discuss] on book wizard.

  • From: "duane iverson" <diverson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:58:29 -0600

I recently bought book wizard. I need to read some RFB and D books so I had to
chose a digital reader somewhere. Also, when I get my bible project going. I
will need a daisy talking book producer and will probably go with Book Wizard.
I already use APH's studio recorder program.
Anyway I proved to my own satisfaction that book wizard will read bookshare
books.
Now I do not have the bookshare unpack tool. I have Kurzweil version 11 which
does just fine with bookshare books so I haven't kneaded the bookshare
unpacker.
I went to my kurzweil download file and took one of the bookshare books there
that I had already opened with Kurzweil. I renamed the book from mybook.bks to
mybook.zip. I found I was able to open the book using windows XP and windows
explorer. I copied the files that resulted in to another directory and was able
to click on the *.opf file with book wizard. I could then read the book. Things
didn't work out perfectly, but that may be because I am inexperienced with book
wizard and don't know how to navigate very well yet.
Well, I said to myself, if Windows XP opens a zip file?. . .
So I went to the sight, downloaded The Dark Demensions by A. Bertrum Chandlar
renamed the file "dark.zip" and tried unzipping this with Windows.
NOTHING DOING!!
I renamed the file dark.bks, opened it with Kurzweil. Kurzweil asked me for my
password. After doing this I closed the book, renamed the file back to
dark.zip, then had no trouble unzipping the files in to another directory. Then
book wizard would read the book.
Moral of the story? Bookshare files are trickier then I am.
Do I recommend book wizard?  If you don't need to read RFB and D books and you
got Kurzweil or Openbook stick with them. Book Wizard isn't worth the extra
money. You do however get one of the A T and T Natural Voices, Mike, with the
CD..
I note that book wizard works with my Scansoft Voices from JAWS and my
Voiceware voices from Kurzweil but doesn't see Eloquence at all. I have two
versions one from Kurzweil and one from Jaws on my system.

Sincerely Yours:
Duane Iverson