[bookshare-discuss] Re: cookbooks

  • From: "Chela Robles" <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:10:10 -0700

Also here is what I dug up form NLS
Hope this helps,
Chela
http://www.loc.gov/cgi-bin/zgate.nls?ACTION=INIT&FORM_HOST_PORT=CprodCwwwCdataCnlsCcatalogCindex.html,z3950.loc.gov,7490
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharon" <mt281820@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:05 AM
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: cookbooks

Wow, that does! Thanks.
Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Judy s. [mailto:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 11:28 PM
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Sharon,

You can have google search for a term, and restrict it to just
one website.  You do that by putting in the search term you want
to look for, and then add a second search term which is as
follows:  the word "site" (without the quotes) followed by a
colon then followed by the url of the website you want it to search.

So, to search for all pages instances on the bookshare website
where the term cookbook appears, you enter the following term
into the google search box:

cookbook site:bookshare.org

You can always abbreviate the URL the way I did above by leaving
off the http://www part of the URL for bookshare.  However, it's
perfectly fine to put in the full URL too.  If you did that, you
would enter the following term into the google search box:

cookbook site:http://www.bookshare.org

And that's all there is too it!

It works for any search term, and any url.  So if you want to
find all the pages on amazon.com that have a particular book by a
particular author, you can use the same trick.

For example, if I wanted to search for the book "The Joy Of
Cooking" on amazon.com I would type (including the quotes,
because I want it to search for the specific title, not just the
words contained in the title separately) the following search
into google's search box:

"The Joy Of Cooking" site:amazon.com

Hope that helps.  smile.

Judy s.

Sharon wrote:
Judy, how did you set up your Google search to get that?
I wish I knew more about searching on Google.
Sharon