[bookshare-discuss] Re: You can get Kurzweil to watch!

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:56:58 -0500

Ahem,  unfortunately the recognition confidence index is not a quality
index,  but rather a 'self-delusion' index.  It only indicates that the
OCR engine did or did not spend a lot of energy recognizing.  A better
quality rating is found in the 'ranked spelling' dialogue of K1K.
Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

Duane Iverson
Sent by:
05/09/2004 11:03 PM
Please respond to
bookshare-discuss

<bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bookshare-discuss] You can get Kurzweil to watch!

Kurzweil 8 has a setting that allow you to set a percentage that if the
quallity of a scan falls below the number, you are alerted as you scan.
I find that you can set the system to scan and read and if thge percentage
is set to 98 oir better, the system tells you if you have a relatively
poor quality scan.
This saves time in the long run since you don't have to check scans that
pass the quallity test.