[bookshare-discuss] VR Stream Question RE: Re: Best portable reader?

  • From: "Maria Kristic" <maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 20:52:14 -0400

May I sneak in a VR Stream question to this thread, as one who doesn't own
the machine but is curious about something, please?

In the manual, when discussing the Music bookshelf, it's stated that stereo
files, if sped up or slowed down, will play in mono; so, effectively, if you
want to hear stereo, you shouldn't speed up or slow down the stereo file,
only play it in normal speed as it is set to default in the Music bookshelf.
I assumed that this was some type of hardware limitation, possibly with the
sound card used on the Stream, though that is pure speculation, so I
assumed, therefore, that this restriction would apply anywhere else in the
Stream as well, yet this fact is only mentioned in the Music bookshelf
section of the manual. Therefore, I'm curious, if you play, say, a stereo
recording of some type in, say, the Other Books or Podcasts bookshelves,
then speed it up or slow it down, does the file also revert to mono there as
it does in the Music bookshelf? I assume yes but would just like to get some
clarification or a correct answer from someone who actually owns the unit
and can try it.

Thanks much,
Maria