[bookshare-discuss] Re: To Marcus About Scanners

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:24:15 -0400

Hi, Patti. It's odd that we're getting such different results. I can see 3 possible causes for that. If you are interested, I have some thoughts to share. If not, please disregard this post. One possible cause for our differing results is that I'm using a different model, the 7300. The second is that I've found that USB scanners sometimes need to be in their own USB port, not plugged into an USB hub of some kind, to get reliable results. I discovered this by accident when I returned home from a trip. I'd been scanning a book with nearly perfect reconition. When I got home and started scanning, I was getting scans of 91 or 92 percent accuracy. After some troubleshooting with Jim Baugh in the chat room, we figured out that it was because I had come home and plugged my scanner into my USB hub instead of directly into its own USB port. Once I moved it to the right port, I went back to really clean scans.

Finally, have you used another scanner where you got better results with Openbook? I'm asking because it is also possible that your copy of Openbook needs to have certain settings adjusted for scanning books as the Openbook defaults are not designed for book scanning. The people who made the decision about which settings to turn on by default seem to have thought that people would be scanning newspapers and similar material. They don't explain this in the help file and leave people to figure it out for themselves. The odd thing is that I don't know very many people who actually scan a newspaper on a regular basis, especially not with newspapers putting much of their content online since around 1998 or so.

If you think this may be the trouble, I will be happy to help you adjust your settings and see if that helps you with working on books. Gerald, Jake, and Pratik helped me when I was having trouble, and that really made the difference for me. I had been feeling pretty discouraged and was ready to quit scanning books because I thought I was really bad at it. Finding out about changing the settings was sort of like discovering treasure because I could finally read my own scans. (smile)

Monica Willyard

Patti Johnson wrote:
Interesting, Monica, I have the Visioneer scanner, One Touch 8100 and I don't think it is all that good.
I use Open Book.  There are a lot of scannos and it leaves out words.
It does fine for mail and such but I don't think it is all that good with scanning books.
Patti