[bookshare-discuss] This email is to inform you that the book you submitted, Mark Steyn's Passing Parade: Obituaries And Appreciations, by Mark Steyn has been successfully submitted

  • From: "diverson" <diverson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 21:24:36 -0600

This book is a hoot!

...on Bob Hope:

He was the first comedian to run himself as a business, and he succeeded
brilliantly. Time magazine reported in 1967 that he was worth half a billion
dollars. Asked about the figure, Hope said, "Anyone can do it. All you have
to do is save a million dollars a year for 500 years."

...on           Amin:

His Excellency was borne aloft in a sedan chair balanced with some
difficulty on the shoulders of four spindly Englishmen from Kampala's
business community, while another humbled honky walked behind holding the
parasol. When it came to the white man's burden, the British could talk the
talk. But that night the 3001b Amin made them walk the walk.

...on Strom Thurmond:

Strom had just cast an appreciative bipartisan eye over the petite brunette
liberal extremist. Senator Boxer gave an involuntary shudder. Glancing down,
I was horrified to see an unusually large lizard slithering up and down my
arm. On closer inspection, it proved to be Strom's hand. Presumably he'd
mistaken my dainty elbow for Barbara's, but who knows? In how many other
national legislatures can a guy just wander in off the street and find
himself being petted by a 97-year-old Senator?

...on the Princess of Wales:

August is the "silly season" in the British press, and this year the
Princess had done her bit for her media chums, embarking on a dizzying
summer romance that brought an extravagant array of her lover's
ex-girlfriends tumbling out of the cupboard. A good time was had by all. On
the very last day of the silly season, when the Queen's subjects woke to the
news that Diana was dead, it seemed in some strange way the best plot twist
of all.

On Katherine Graham

judging from the tone of the drooling eulogies, most commentators are
apparently assuming that The Washington Post's proprietress will be
continuing her salons in the unseen world and that, come their own demise,
they want to make sure they're at the top table with Kay, the Kennedys, Pam
Harriman, and not down the declasse end near the powder room with God,
Christ, St Peter and the other losers. And for This Ole House: I was
wandering way up in the mountains and came across this dilapidated cabin."
He was hunting in the high Sierras and had noticed a mangy, starving old
hound dog hanging around an otherwise abandoned cabin. "Inside, I found an
old prospector lying dead. I saw curtains, so that meant a woman had been
there. I saw kids' things lin' around. And they were all gone now. The old
man was alone." Most of us would just get out, some perhaps would go to the
cops, but Hamblen sat down and, with the corpse lying next to him for
inspiration, began to rough out a song.

Happy Proofing.

Sincerely Yours:

Duane Iverson