[bookshare-discuss] Re: The Ongoing Debates

  • From: Nimer <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 12:21:37 -0700

Roger, do you know why it is not topical? Because these people disagree. If they did not disagree, it would be fully topical, but because they are so closeminded, it is offtopic.

Thanks
Nimer J

"Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." LOTR

Nimer M. Jaber

it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review,
reliance
upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender via reply
e-mail, and delete the
material from any computer.

Website:
http://www.empowertheblind.org
Phone:
(720) (251-4530)

Roger Loran Bailey wrote:
I cannot see how you can possibly think this discussion is off topic.
It is about books. It is about censorship of books. It is about
bookshare policies. What could possibly be more appropriate for a
Bookshare discussion list? Besides, frankly, I am having a lot of fun
with this. Sometimes I will go out to a bar to find someone to argue
politics with and sometimes I find an opponent and sometimes I don't.
The advantage of doing it here, though, is that it can be directly
related to one of the great loves of my life, books, and with email I
get a little time to think.

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Nancy Feldman
<nancy_feldman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am a little frustrated by the ongoing debates on the topic of censorship.
We've strayed far beyond whether books should be denied to those under 18.
People now seem to be using this mailing list as a way to exercise their
political views, trot out their rhetoric, and otherwise prance upon their
soapboxes.

That's fine.  Perhaps we can adjust our subject lines to reflect the topic:
political digression or somesuch to warn readers that the topic is no longer
directly related to Bookshare, but a more off-topic, philosophical debate.
Then those who aren't interested in such matters can easily ignore such
messages and hopefully still find the response from Bookshare staff as to
the original, pertinent question.

Thanks.