[bookshare-discuss] Re: Textbook Resources other than Bookshare, Learning ally

  • From: David Goldfield <disciple1211@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 12:25:18 -0400

Hi.
While this is not specifically for individuals with disabilities, Amazon does offer textbooks. While I've never used them for textbooks, they should be accessible with the Kindle app for iOS or with the app for Windows. Kindle Keyboards should also work with them, unless the publisher has blocked the text-to-speech capabilities.
Nimit Kaur wrote:
Hey all,
Well...  Hope you guys are having fun wherever you are!!!  Anyways, I
know Bookshare to be my most reliable textbook resource!!!  I have
gotten almost all my textbooks from Bookshare.  I am just curious...
What other resources do you guys use for finding yours or somebody
else visually Impaired student textbooks?  Please, can you tell me?  I
have submited requests via the form suggested by the staff, but I want
to have backup resources for future, just in case.  Learning Ally is
good, but the one backup book, it doesn't have.  Plus, I like the
braille with my braille display over the only audio part.  So, have
you guys found textbooks resources other than Bookshare, learning ally
that you find either your own textbooks or somebody visually impaired
person textbook?  Can you please advise here?  Again, Bookshare is the
most reliable, but it's always good to have backups just in case.  I
have submited request and I know that they are real nice staff and
will help in any way they can to their ability, but I am just curious
to know and learn about other options.  Hope you know what I mean.
Thank you so so much, all!  Have a great day!