[bookshare-discuss] Scanning for bookshare

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:17:33 -0700 (PDT)

Bertha,

Welcome.

Here is the URL to the part of the volunteer site that
explains about submitting books.

Basically, you scan a book, check to make sure that it
has page breaks and that all pages are present and,
preferably, probperly numbered; do a spell check. and
fill out the submission form carefully. That's the
minimum. Most people will prevalidate so that the book
has as few scanning errors as possible before
submitting, so that the risk of rejection by a
validator is eliminated. This means eliminating
headers and junk characters, the end-of-line paragraph
markers if they are there. If you have Kurzweill you
can run something, I forget what it's called, to
eliminate scanning errors. Many people read the books
before submitting them correcting errors as they go,
since neither the Kurzweill program nor a Word
spell-check will catch words that are spelled
correctly but are not correct in the context; for
example, often "the" will scan as "lie," and "he" will
scan as "be.

HTH

Cindy

--- Bertha A Guerrero <missmommymomma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>