[bookshare-discuss] Re: Scaning books

  • From: Stephanie <sdlively@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 09:57:11 -0600

Thank you and I will. Any authors/books I need not to scan for copyright reasons?

Jamie Yates, CPhT wrote:
Hi Stephanie, you'll need a computer, scanner and some software. I use Omnipage but I am sighted and that works well for me. Without sight I don't think you could use Omnipage very easily. I think most people use Kurzweil but I am not sure. Hopefully someone will answer you with a software program to use. Then you open the scanning/OCR software and start to scan the book. I do mine a few pages at a time, OCR those pages and then copy them to Microsoft Word. You can use other word processing software if you have it but it needs to retain page breaks. You can be sure if you are interested in reading the book, someone else probably is too, so if you decide to scan, be sure to retain page breaks and page numbers so you'll be able to submit the book.

--
Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading: A Quiet Undertaking by Penny Warmer