[bookshare-discuss] Re: OT questions about files and NLS

  • From: "Allison Hilliker" <bookshare_girl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 11:17:28 -0700

Hi Bertha,

I'll try to answer your questions.

You wrote: "when I download a Bookshare book and indicate DAISY file, I end
up with four files of the same book with different extensions."

That's perfectly normal.  All those files are needed to make one full daisy
book.  The computer interprets each file type differently, and then combines
them altogether to make the book that it reads.  You will need all the
different files if you want to read a book on the Victor Reader soft.  That
is the software you can download from Bookshare to read books.  You also
need all those files if you are playing on the Victor Reader Stream.
However, if you just want to read the HTML file, like in Internet Explorer
or FireFox, then you can delete all the files except for the one with the
HTML extension.  This is what I usually do.  It's just matter of personal
preference as to how you like to read your books.  If this still doesn't
make sense, then maybe you can tell us how you'd like to read your books,
and then we can explain how you do that.

You wrote: "If I am set up to be able to download WEB Braille books, am I
also able to download NLS books, which I assume are DAISY files?"

No.  The two programs are different and ran through different NLS websites.
The digital downloads can only be played on the Victor Stream or one of the
new NLS book players.  You have to go through a special sign up process for
both.  I don't happen to know the exact links for each sign up, but I'm sure
someone else on her will.

Hope this helped.

Best,
Allison