[bookshare-discuss] OT The RSV Bible recorded by Alexander Scourby

  • From: "duane iverson" <diverson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:04:51 -0500

Help.

I am searching for the bible.

In the mid 60's Alexander Scourby recorded the Revised Standard Version of the
bible for the American Bible Society. For many years The American Foundation
for the Blind sold this book. The bible was on

 16-2/3 rpm talking book records. It never occurred to me then that some day
that version of the bible would become unavailable.

Unfortunately it has become unavailable. You cannot obtain a copy through a
state lending library: You can't order it from the American Foundation for the
Blind. You can't even order it from the Lutheran
Braille Evangelistic association. For a while they had a rather badly produced
cassette version of this bible available, but no longer.

I am searching for a good copy of this bible. I would hate to see this
translation lost. There are other newer translations, but none better and
certainly none read by the incomparable Mr. Scourby. His KJV is everywhere, but
the RSV is in my opinion a far better translation. My church uses the New
International Version which makes the 1952 RSV shine in comparison.

I have the tools to produce a digitized copy of the bible. I want to do so for
my own use and for the rest of the world.

Please does anyone know where I can buy or borrow a good copy of the RSV by
Scourby? I have Genesis through Job the first two of the four boxes the bible
came in, but my copy has damaged parts and I can't use all of it.

If I can find a copy, I will use Studio Recorder a program from APH to record
the bible and convert the recording in to a digital talking book and in to a
recording recordable on cassettes.

If I get your copy I will treat it well and return it to you when I am through.
I expect that the process will take a couple of months as I must needs read the
whole bible as I record it in order to index each chapter and so fourth. After
I get finished I will provide whom ever I can get a copy from with an updated
version either in digital talking book format or on Cassette if you prefer.

If you have a copy or know where I can get a copy, Please contact me.  I am

Duane Iverson.

My email address is diverson@xxxxxxxxxx

Sincerely Yours:
Duane Iverson