[bookshare-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, June 14, 2012

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "SF list" <scifi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 20:24:00 -0400

Hello Folks,

We had another good turnout at our last meeting, and although the reviews of
our most recent book, The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester, were a bit
better than the previous book, Infinity Beach by Jack McDevitt, the book still
recieved a very mixed reception. We turn to something a bit lighter, and even
shorter, for our next book, Virus on Orbis 1 by PJ. Haarsma, the first book in
the Softwire series.

The next meeting of the Science Fiction club will be on Thursday, June 14, 2012.

Place, Book Nook at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central, 7 PM Mountain, 6 PM Pacific, and 01:00 UTC.

Virus on Orbis 1 is available at both BARD and Bookshare.

The link to the BARD version is at:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.65150

and the Bookshare version is at:

https://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/335147

Here is the NLS synopsis:

Johnny Turnball (JT) and his younger sister Ketheria are among the orphans on a
spaceship docking on Orbis 1. When the central computer on Orbis malfunctions,
JT's special ability to communicate mentally with computers--he is the first
human softwire--immediately places
him in jeopardy.

and here is Bookshare's Long Synopsis:

A human boy with an uncanny link to computers finds danger and discovery on the
rings
of Orbis in this riveting sci-fi adventure. Thirteen-year-old Johnny Turnbull
has
always known there was something different about him, even before he and two
hundred
other kids landed on the first ring of Orbis. But once their spaceship lands, he
is identified as the first-ever "softwire" -- a human with the ability to enter
and
communicate with computers through his mind -- and becomes the focus of
intergalactic
intrigue. Johnny and the rest of the refugee orphans are put to work in alien
factories,
and very quickly things go very wrong. When the all-knowing, all-controlling,
and
technologically "perfect" central computer starts malfunctioning, suspicious
eyes
turn to Johnny. Is he the one responsible? This action-packed, fast-paced sci-fi
novel will keep kids on the edge of their seats.

Yes, it's a juvenile, but don't let that deter you. Most of us who've been
reading Science Fiction for a long while know that some of the best books in
the field are well written juveniles, some of them quite famous in fact. So
check it out and come to the next meeting to talk about this one.

Evan