[bookshare-discuss] More on Accessible Books from Australia

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 19:50:46 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Kearney" <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>; <bardtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: [bardtalk] Introduction

We do produce book upon demand of the patron as well as offering public domain works to the public at large. Remember that we can only offer the public works in the public domain not copyrighted works. We serve both the disabled which can get copyrighted works from us as well as the public who can not. Books under copyright will be so noted and you will need a username and password to download them from us.

We are working out how to provide books directly to users in the U.S. and others by having them join our service is a system similar to Bookshare where we can get proof of disability for the NLS there. We would like to have reciprocity with the international libraries in this. So that if we are loaning to people overseas that their libraries would loan to our patrons as well. In the mean time we are able to send copyrighted books to your regional library who can then send them to you. If you are interested please contact us.

You can get them with postal delivery, free matter for the blind works for international mail, but I would warn anyone wishing this that is is a slow process taking up to 14 days at best and sometimes over a month.

Our service differs from the U.S. in that we assign a cartridge to a user and then load that cartridge with several books and send it out. When it comes back to us we load it with the next set of books for that user and mail it out again. each user gets two or more cartridges assigned to them so there are some being loaded while they have some in use.

We tweet each book as we produce it these can be found at http://www.twitter.com/assocblindwa/

Gregory Kearney
Manager - Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of Western Australia
61 Kitchener Avenue, PO Box 101
Victoria Park 6979, WA Australia

Telephone: +61 (08) 9311 8202
Telephone: +1 (307) 224-4022 (North America)
Fax: +61 (08) 9361 8696
Toll free: 1800 658 388 (Australia only)
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On 15/02/2010, at 1:45 AM, Roger Loran Bailey wrote:

When you said that you produced these books on demand I at first thought that really beats the NLS's system of receiving patron input. Then I looked at the web site and saw that on demand means only books that are out of copyright and on a web site like Project Gutenberg. That is even more restrictive than the NLS. I have only, though, given your web site a cursory looking over. Before I put in the effort and time to examine it more closely when I may not even be able to use it I would like to ask a question. May those of us who are in the U.S. download those books and, if so, then how are we restricted? I would assume, for example, that we may not receive them by the postal system.

_     _      _

"I believe in recognizing every human being as a human being, neither white,
black, brown nor red. When you are dealing with humanity as one family,
there's no question of integration or intermarriage. It's just one human
being marrying another human being, or one human being living around and
with another human being.... The worst form of a human being, I believe, is
one who judges another human being by the color of his skin."
Malcolm X

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: