[bookshare-discuss] Re: Making the book drive a success

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 06:26:16 -0400

Hi, Tony. To you, my response seems confusing, and I can see why. There are three intertwined factors that influence my response to the book drive at this point. I will give you a glimpse of what things look like here. I have got somewhere around 250 books to scan for Bookshare, and these books are currently taking up a lot of space in my bedroom. These are all books that I personally want to read and know that other members have expressed an interest in reading as well. I feel a little overwhelmed when I think about getting them all scanned and proofread. I have been steadily working my way through my stacks of books scanning when my health allows. Even though I've done some scanning, the book still need to be proofread before submission.

The second factor in my thinking is the understanding that if I were to become part of a book drive, I would end up spending time scanning and proofreading a book that I may or may not want to actually read while putting books that I know I want to read on the back burner. I think the chances that someone else might scan these books while I'm working on something else are low. That's why I'd say no to a book drive of this kind no matter who is running it. That's what I was trying to convey to you... that my lack of interest wasn't personal or about you in any way.

The other part of this equation is purely a personality issue in that I don't like surprises or random assignments. I'm a structured person who likes to deliberate before making a decision, and that extends to which books I work on. Some people aren't like me. They thrive on variety and novelty. I plan out my week and generally know what I'll be doing tomorrow and the day after that. (smile)

I hope my note helps you see where I'm coming from. I do wish you success with the book drive, Tony.

Monica Willyard

Tony Baechler wrote:

Yes, all feedback is useful to me, even if you say that you can't help but you wish you could. (Smile). However, I am a little confused. I can certainly understand someone not wanting to take on more than they can handle. That seems to be the predominant problem, too many books and not enough time. The reason why I'm confused is that there is no hard time limit by which books must be scanned.