[bookshare-discuss] Kurzweil and crashes and TTS

  • From: Dilsiaa@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, BksVol-Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:27:58 EDT

    Dear volunteers:

Recently I received the demo CD for Kurzweil 3000 the one for dyslexics
though I requested the K1000 but anyway; I installed it to my computer which is
an
AMD Athlon 1.0 Gb 128 MB RAM OS Windows XP 2002 SP1 and it ran beautifully but
it does crash unexpectedly. First it froze my scanner and the IBM Viavoice
goes silent after a while. Also I think the program needs a revamping in its
OCR
engine Fine Reader or Expervision, the two of them recognizes poorly the text
and when you try to listen what is it reading you get the errors that the OCR
has made from recognition of the text. Also it needs improvements in the
editing part and a feature to allow to choose between an English dictionary or
Spanish or whatever language is your book about.

Also I have a trick I've done today to get rid of the book middle shadows, I
put a white piece of paper in the scanner that covers the pages inline to the
cover and it worked beautifully but you need to take a little more time to
scan carefully, i.e. to hold the book flat and put pieces of tape to the piece
of
paper to avoid moving it and of make sure you don't cover the text with it.

Very truly yours
Dilsia A. Martinez Rivera
Villalba PR

The tragedy is not that things are broken.  The tragedy is that they are not
mended again. -- Alan Patton, Cry the Beloved Country, Scribner Paperback
Fiction

The most difficult part of getting to the top of the ladder is getting
through the crowd at the bottom. -- Arch Ward, Promoter and sports editor

Better twice measured than once wrong. -- Danish Proverb