[bookshare-discuss] Re: Just Submitted

  • From: rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:52:54 -0500

I find myself looking up books on Amazon on occasion with SBN's and using that as a search term. It usually does not work. However, sometimes adding a 0 in front of the number will bring up the title with that as the ISBN. Other times that does not work either and when I finally find the book it has an Amazon ASIN instead of an ISBN. My point, though, is that the ISBN is often an SBN preceded by a 0 or, perhaps, a 1. I haven't had any luck at adding additional zeros to even shorter SBN's. Apparently when the ISBN or, then, the SBN system was being developed in the late 1960's and early 1970's things were still in a bit of a flux and modern databases may not have data for them.
On 11/16/08, EVAN REESE <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I recently scanned a book with an SBN, not an ISBN, which contained
only 9
digits. So I did what you did, checked ISBN not available, which it
wasn't.

Evan