[bookshare-discuss] Re: Jane Austen fan-fiction

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 22:17:23 -0800 (PST)

Is that fan fiction? I didn't realize fan fiction ever
actually got published, but I don't see why it
shouldn't if it's good enough.

I'm sure lots has been written about Jane Austen and
her books, so no dissertation topics come to my mind
except---I think it was Bridget Jones' Diary that was
clearly a modern version of Pride and Prejudice. You
might see if there are other books or movies that have
taken Austen's themes and used them, either re subject
or style. So many movies and tv shows took the
Rashomon idea of three different points of view, it
might be reasonable that Bridget Jones' Diary isn't
the only one based on an Austen book.

Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife can be considered, perhaps, a
sequel that someone wrote for Pride and Prejudice
because he/she wanted to know what happened, or might
have happened, next. Someone wrote a prequel to Jane
Eyre that's steamy--I can't remember the title or when
it was written but I remember that when I saw the
movie, even before I knew that that's what it was, I
recognized it for being that. You might do some
research and find out if more classics have had
sequels or prequels written by other authors who were
unsatisfied and wanted to know more about what
happened next or what had happened before. The sequel
to Gone with the Wind is the only  other one that
comes to my mind.

Cindy Ro

--- poetprodigy7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello all,
>     I've just finished reading all of Jane Austen's
> novels for a course I took for my Ph.D, and we
> frequently got onto the topic of fan-fiction. There
> seems to be quite a bit of it floating around, and I
> managed to find one book on bookshare: mr. Darcy
> Takes a Wife. I'm quite interested in this
> genre--I'm basically clutching at any possible
> dissertation idea straws here--and am wondering if
> there are any other jane Austen fan-fiction titles
> on Bookshare. If not, it would be lovely to try to
> add some to the collection.
> I also have several rare 1890's poetry books that I
> used for a project that ai plan to submit as soon as
> time permits.
> Thanks for any help!
> all the best,
> Francesca