[bookshare-discuss] Re: History Buffs, Suggestions Needed Please

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:19:13 -0500

Try checking magazine articles in Ladies Magazines or newspapers of the period for recipe and food ideas. The same articles may include coping strategies and comments which she can quote. You will also get more authentic flavor than you would by reading a history as the sources will be more timely.

E.

At 04:02 PM 2/10/2009, you wrote:
Hi. If you're a history buff, would you please lend me a hand? My daughter is doing a term paper for British lit and European history. The topic she was given to write about is how rationing affected food, entertainment, and clothing in Britain during World War II. This seems like a pretty narrow topic to me, and I've only found two books so far that mention rationing, and both of those are casual references as part of essays about American old time radio during the war. Do any of you have any suggestions for books that discuss how people coped with rationing, why it was done, or how Germany restricted the flow of goods into England? I know about some of this in my head, but documenting it with sources for a term paper is a different matter. My daughter has been to the library, and I have looked through 3 of the old time radio books on Bookshare to see if they might help. I'm stumped now. I don't even know what to look for in the card catalog system of our library that might point me in the right direction. Can any of you shed some light on this for me?

Monica Willyard