[bookshare-discuss] Re: Going, Going, Gone!

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 18:49:59 -0400

As a matter of fact, I switched from reading print to talking books in 1988 and one thing that bothered me about them was that I never knew which page I was on except for when I turned the tape over.

On 10/31/2015 12:05 PM, Evan Reese wrote:

Well, as I said, it is not optimal, so obviously, I, for one, am not okay with a lack of page numbers in PQ books.
However, as I and others have pointed out, an increasing number of PQ books are getting page numbers precisely because the reading public expects them.
So contrary to your assertion, it is not the narrow view to insist that volunteer books contain page numbers, but rather the wider, longer view of providing the same level of quality that the general reading public can get with any printed book, and an increasing number of electronic books, that they buy.
Indeed, it is the narrow view that since one grew up with talking books that did not have page numbers that Bookshare readers, (the majority of whom are not blind by the way, and who did not grow up reading talking books), should have to settle for a lower quality standard than the print unimpaired public expects.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Mary Otten
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2015 9:06 PM
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: Going, Going, Gone! s=q20140121; t=1446251297; bh=IDC64XWXJo2JOOLdHF+2W5MN1/1ODP39PQXPMERePmI=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Subject; b=D6nvkhuwYrcEqkNdtajNxDCzOV380jgr1YypEKhEZYW82HQUkScNqKrDt0X3lorFp +eesr1gyCdCRRKyCdRE8kMRz3Z7pb5gjKJMiMRvVd/rjHS37XlXA05wk+JWYR6hEJb 009WEC4uxwSn8jKWkbnD9GLkRzuTHqueB2vZqkd66bPETeTDmFN4QL+V7jMyjM5Sqq 758DO/TxqK8z4Lgio53rysNtVy/oZcOXW7FZpLTf4eOWVOD3/j6GuyhnpSi/FZ8C9f VIpLe4g3nGWip4Ut8IbYG/Lc6oUdXymbPrFNdQPVZn25Xq4+6Dbfh5sgccL7vbSsoO eE9yu6TVArKiw==s=q20140121; t=1446253607;bh=073UnSl7u6Jztwp67p9FnaSCoDoDv0GM6nO9B3Ij4Zw=;h=Received:Received:From:To:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Subject;b=DCz5G6zxjGPw/uFUbn1a00hAnMsDD9p/qJN5hP9YTqO4FJcQRJqEjpyNfhiwzGhQQ Iq55Ho6Nu2Nr2jlVm2A+2vuAJh079G+Z0x1IFlaOz6O9Kb658w+6Umfcj4i963+9gw as8E1IXTF5MCY8bDCbDDgBlvUATMBwwQuNc0kdtk8DhrEyc0MfUWw5xK3Nl/ot7Y5U QkJneKFn5tljJpixUlFEJZ87fB3iXf7J0oKQE+bBB6vt3VjOikSAMVs9zFNY03WAmb Message-Id:

Well, if all of the readers are ok with accepting publisher submissions
on one standard and volunteer submissions on another, then that's just
fine. Just know that readers lose out when you have this high and
mighty stance. There are times when page numbers are ttruly needed.
there are other times when they just are not. If they were, then
thousands of people for decates would have gottenh nothing out of all
those books they read from Library of Congress. Sometimes, you have to
take the wider longer view, rather than the picky narrow one. But
ovivously, there are folks on here who just don't understand that a
novel doesn't need page numbers to be enjoyed. If it did, millions of
Kindle readers would be s.o.l.

Mary

Put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the Subject line. To get a list of