[bookshare-discuss] FW: Re: OT: Ebooks and PDF. I'm going nuts here and need help

  • From: Lisa Friendly <lisaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:56:10 -0700

Here is an update from Jim about our planning in the area of support for
ebooks.

Lisa

From: maithe007 <maithe007@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:47:56 -0400
To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: OT: Ebooks and PDF. I'm going nuts here and
need help

Hi Natalie!

I buy E-books and this is a common problem.  I have found that when I open
these books, JAWS will not read them at all.  In order to get them to read,
I save them as a text file instead of Adobe and then I can read the book.
Unfortunately, depending on the publishing house, this might not always
work.  The "big" publishers place protection on their books which I have not
been able to get around...yet!  I am going through this with some Jennifer
Crusie books I just bought and the company is trying to help me, but they
also have not been able to break the protection.

If you don't mind me asking, which publisher is this book from?  Is it
something like Changeling Press or Loose ID?

Maithe