[bookshare-discuss] FW: Gutenberg Books

  • From: Lisa Friendly <lisaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:29:24 -0700

Resending

------ Forwarded Message
From: <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 14:57:23 -0700
To: Lisa Friendly <LisaF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<"bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx">
Conversation: Gutenberg Books
Subject: Gutenberg Books

I think we¹d be willing to loosen our limitations on digital book
acceptances when it comes to public domain Gutenberg books.  Because they
are public domain, nobody is breaking any rules submitting them to
Bookshare.org.  And, the Gutenberg team can be relied upon when they decide
something is public domain (the question is complex and we have to be
careful).  They are very supportive of our work, and we didn¹t license the
books from them, we just did them the courtesy of touching base before using
them.  We¹re not really competitors: they do a great job on public domain,
and as Lisa notes, we¹re working on copyrighted material almost exclusively
(which Gutenberg generally can¹t).  So, we complement each other

We just haven¹t allocated the effort to convert more Gutenberg books since
our original launch five years ago. We¹ve not gotten a lot of requests for
them.  Another disadvantage is that the Gutenberg books are generally
unformatted ASCII text.  When we did the big import, we just inserted page
breaks every 60 lines or so.    If it¹s of big interest to our users, we¹d
probably do another big import.  But, it would flood the new book listing
with a lot of boring books!

Jim