[bookshare-discuss] Re: [Bookshare.org Newsletter] September 2005 News Update

  • From: "Larry Lumpkin" <llumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 06:33:27 -0500

I like html because it reads like a web page thus is indexed and referenceable.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Blanks" <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gustavo Galindo" <Gustavo.G@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:17:58 -0700

5

<http://www.bookshare.org/

September, 2005

Welcome to the Bookshare.org Newsletter

September, 2005
In this issue:

Bookshare.org is an EdNet Rookie of the Year

Bookshare.org has over 24,000 accessible books

NFB-Newsline® provides more accessible publications for Bookshare.org subscribers

You can give the gift of Bookshare.org

Susie McKinnon is Bookshare.org's Manager of Schools and Groups

Colleges and universities can share their scanned texts with Bookshare.org

Bookshare.org has books in Spanish

Learn about IDEA 2004, NIMAS, and Bookshare.org

Bookshare.org Fall Conventions Schedule

About Bookshare.org

Unsubscribe from this newsletter

Bookshare.org Newsletter, September, 2005-Hello. I'm gustavo galindo, the Manager of the Bookshare.org Website, and the editor of this newsletter. It's my pleasure to bring you up to date on the latest happenings at Bookshare.org, and what we've got planned for the rest of 2005, which fall conferences we're attending, and what we're working on for 2006.

_____

Bookshare.org recognized for positive impact on education and important contribution to the educational technology industry-The Heller Reports, a leading provider of education market news and events, chose Bookshare.org as one of this year's EdNET 2005 Industry Awards finalists. Bookshare.org is very excited to have been awarded for its accomplishments with schools and educational institutions throughout the United States. The EdNET annual event brings together companies and organizations from the high tech and education communities. Bookshare.org was honored as one of three "Rookie of the Year" organizations which has the greatest promise to become a significant player in the technology industry in coming years.

_____

Bookshare.org has over 24,000 accessible ebooks!-By adding about 100 new titles to our online collection every week, Bookshare.org's collection has grown to over 24,000 books, available to our subscribers in either BRF (digital Braille) or DAISY (talking book) format 24 hours a day seven days a week.
We've recently added these best-selling fiction and non-fiction books to our collection

* The Mermaid Chair <http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=31635> by Sue Monk Kidd <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=11618

* Point Blank: An FBI Thriller <http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=33237> by Catherine Coulter <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=3181

* Polar Shift: A Novel from the NUMA Files <http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=33420> by Paul Kemprecos <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=8419> , Clive Cussler <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=990

* The World is Flat <http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=32379> by Thomas L. Friedman <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=8136

* 1776 <http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=32247> by David McCullough <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=5062

You can always get the listings of our newest books by browsing our new books page. Click here to visit the Bookshare.org New Books page in a new browser window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksNew.html> . You can also browse our books by your favorite category. Click here to visit the Bookshare.org Categories page in a new browser window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByCategory.html> . New this year, you can do a simple search or an advanced search for authors and titles on Bookshare.org. Click here to go to the Bookshare.org Simple Search page in a new browser window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksBySimpleSearch.html> or the Bookshare.org Advanced Search page in a new browser window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAdvancedSearch.html> .

_____

NFB-Newsline® Newspapers and Magazines on Bookshare.org-Well into its second year, this program continues to grow in popularity and content. Through an arrangement with the NFB-Newsline® service, we are able to offer current accessible copies of over 100 of the country's leading national and regional newspapers and magazines for download in DAISY and BRF formats. Access is limited to residents of states that sponsor this service. Click here to learn more about Bookshare.org's NFB-Newsline® content and its sponsoring states in a new browser window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/MembersPeriodicals.html> .
_____

Give a Bookshare.org subscription-Did you know that while you have to be a person with a verified print-disability to become a Bookshare.org subscriber, if you know somebody who meets eligibility criteria, you can give them a gift subscription for only $75.00? They'll get access to the latest best-sellers as well as magazines and newspapers, all in accessible formats. Click here to visit the Bookshare.org Gift Subscription Information page in a new browser window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/MembersGiftSubInfo.html> . If you need additional information please write to gifts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gifts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=I%20want%20more%20info%20on%20giving%20Bookshare.org%20as%20a%20gift.> .

_____

Susie Mckinnon is the Bookshare.org Manager of School and Group Accounts-Susie Mckinnon joined the Bookshare.org Team in May of this year to refocus our efforts to improve service to our Member Schools and Organizations. If you're affiliated with a school or organization and you need help setting up or updating your organization's account, please send an email to Susie Mckinnon (groupaccounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) <mailto:groupaccounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=My%20organization%20needs%20help%20with%20Bookshare.org

_____

Post-secondary Textbook Sharing Guidelines-We've developed a series of guidelines that help our member organizations share their post-secondary-level textbooks with the Bookshare.org community (yes, you can legally do this). We have successful partnerships with the University of Indiana, the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Teachers' College of Columbia University, and the University of Montana among others. Help us increase the number of accessible college-level textbooks available nationwide, help eliminate duplication of effort, and earn credits for sponsoring your organization's qualifying print-disabled students. Please send an email to Susie Mckinnon (groupaccounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) <mailto:groupaccounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=My%20organization%20wants%20info%20on%20post-secondary%20textbook%20sharing%20guidelines.> .

_____

Accessible books in Spanish-Thanks to a grant from the CFTC,(Community Technology Foundation of California, zerodivide.org <http://zerodivide.org/> (opens a new browser window), Bookshare.org is able to make accessible books available in Spanish. Click here to go to a current list of Bookshare.org's current Spanish-language titles in a new browser window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/LibrosAnnounce.html> . Spanish-speaking people who reside in the state of California with certified print-disabilities may be eligible to receive a year-long subscription to Bookshare.org at no cost. Write to us at libros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:libros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Books%20in%20Spanish/Libros%20en%20español.> for more information on how you, a family-member or friend can become a subscriber.

_____

IDEA 2004, NIMAS and Bookshare.org-IDEA 2004 (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) is the latest from Congress ensuring that schools provide a "free and appropriate education" to all students with disabilities regardless of the type or severity. Part of the latest version of IDEA is a new national standard for digital K-12 textbooks: NIMAS, the National Instructional Materials Accessibility Standard will be in effect by 2006. NIMAS is quite similar to the DAISY books Bookshare.org already distributes, but with additional navigation and content tagging. Bookshare.org is an authorized entity to distribute NIMAS-compliant content when it becomes available. To help people learn more about NIMAS, CAST (Center for Applied Special Technology), has set up an informational website. Click here to visit http://nimas.cast.org/ in a new browser window <http://nimas.cast.org/> .

_____

Bookshare.org is at these Fall conventions-The Bookshare.org team is traveling around the country this fall. If you will be at any of these events, please track us down, stop by our booth, attend our scheduled presentations to hear what's new and share your thoughts:

* employmentAccess2005, September 28-29, Mountain View, California
* Closing The Gap, October 20-22, Minneapolis Minnesota
* Learning Disabilities Association, California session, Oct.27-29, Concord, CA
* Calstate CEC (Calstate Council for Exceptional Children) Nov. 10-12
* IDA International Dyslexia Association (national) Nov. 9-12, Denver, CO
* Accessing Higher Ground, Nov. 11, Boulder, CO (presentation only)
* PATINS conference -Indiana Schools (Promoting Achievement through Technology for Indiana Students), Nov.16-17, Indianapolis, Indiana

_____

About Bookshare.org, Books without Barriers-Bookshare.org is an online community that enables people in the United States with visual or other print disabilities to legally share scanned books.

* Where do the digital books come from?
The Bookshare.org collection is built and shaped primarily by its community of members and supporters. By scanning a book to submit to the collection, a Bookshare.org member can provide all other members access to that book.

* Who can access the books?
Copyrighted digital books are available only to U.S. residents who have a disability that affects print reading and have a current subscription. Organizations such as schools can sponsor subscriptions for their students. A limited number of books are available to non-U.S. residents because of publisher permission. Click here to visit our website to find out more: www.bookshare.org/web/AboutInternationalMembership.html in a new browser window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutInternationalMembership.html> .

* Why is Bookshare.org legal?
In general, it would be illegal to share or distribute copyrighted books. However, Bookshare.org takes advantage of a special exemption in U.S. copyright law that permits the reproduction of publications into specialized formats for the disabled. This project is possible under the law in the United States, as long as the copyrighted digital books are only available to people in the U.S. with bona fide disabilities and the nonprofits and schools that serve them. For more information, click here to visit our website at www.bookshare.org/web/Legalities.html in a new browser window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/Legalities.html> .

* Who is providing Bookshare.org?
Bookshare.org is a project of the Benetech Initiative, a nonprofit organization. The Benetech team originally developed the Arkenstone reading systems, and is now using the power of technology to introduce new projects such as Bookshare.org.

* www.benetech.org <http://www.benetech.org/> (opens a new browser window)
The Benetech Initiative
480 California Ave., Suite 201
Palo Alto, CA 94306
USA

_____

How to unsubscribe-You received this newsletter because you indicated that preference when you signed up for Bookshare.org or when you visited our booth at a conference. If you prefer not to receive this newsletter, simply reply to this email and indicate your preference in your response, or send email to admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=I%20want%20to%20unsubscribe%20from%20the%20Bookshare.org%20Newsletter> .

How to subscribe-Stay in touch with the developments of Bookshare.org through the quarterly email newsletter. Sign up to receive the newsletter by sending an email with "subscribe" in the subject line to bookshare-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bookshare-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe> . Join our online discussion group by sending an email with "subscribe" in the subject line to bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe> .

www.bookshare.org

Flexibility

Download accessible books in DAISY or BRF formats--which work with most adaptive technologies

Subscription Options

Sign up for an Individual Subscription or School and Group Account

Accessibility

Subscriptions are ideal for qualifying students and adults who are Visually-Impaired, Learning Disabled or Mobility Impaired

Our Collection

Read fiction and non-fiction bestsellers, classics, textbooks, newspapers and magazines

Learn More Today

Visit Bookshare.org <http://www.bookshare.org

About Membership <http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutMembership.html

Schools & Groups <http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutGroupAccounts.html

Press Room <http://www.bookshare.org/web/PressRoom.html

Partners <http://www.bookshare.org/web/Partners.html

Legal Information <http://www.bookshare.org/web/Legalities.html

Contact Us <http://www.bookshare.org/web/SupportContactUs.html

Bookshare.org was created and is maintained by Benetech, a nonprofit organization. Copyright © 2001-2005. All other product names are the trademarks of their respective manufacturers.

The Bookshare trademark is used under license from its registered owner, Follett Library Resources division of Follett Corporation.

<http://www.benetech.org/