[bookshare-discuss] Bookshare makes a difference

  • From: "Rick Roderick" <richard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 10:12:19 -0500

Hi everyone,

I love to tell and hear how Bookshare has made a difference in people's
lives.

I got an email notice of a monthly book discussion group meeting  from my
presbytery, a group of Presbyterian churches that make up a regional
governing body.  I usually look at these and say, "Wouldn't it be nice if I
could read the book?" and shrug.

This time, the book being reviewed was "The Year of Magical Thinking", by
Joan Didion.  When I saw the title, it looked familiar.  Sure enough, I had
seen the title on Bookshare and downloaded it immediately.  I read most of
the book before attending the meeting.  Although this is not required for
this particular group, it allowed me to participate in the discussion in a
more informed manner.

That is not the only use I make of bookshare.  I have very fluctuating
hearing, particularly in the left ear.  Often, I find listening to detailed
news to be somewhat difficult.  During these times of depressed hearing, the
newspaper section on the site really comes to the rescue.

I want to thank all the people who have made all of this possible.