[bookshare-discuss] Re: Banned Books Week

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:10:13 -0400

Hi all,

Monica, I like the way you think. See, my whole point is that children should be allowed by their parents to read whatever they want, if the parent knows what they are reading and can help them to understand concepts which might be on a more adult level, this is good. the key here is to start from day one to talk about books at the dinner table, talk about movies and plays in conversation with friends while kids are around. Asking the kids what they are reading, recommending books, promoting family reading, and so on. These are the tools of good stewartship. Putting legal restrictions on library cards only helps in a limited way. It lets the kid know that he/she has rights, but at the same time it fosters a mistrust of parents. this is not good.

My name is Ann Parsons and I'm a book pusher. The art of pushing books is predicated on knowing your users. <smiling> If parents are book pushers, then they know their kids and their kids' friends. They push books that are appropriate. Why not push good books instead of banning books? Why not encourage reading by example instead of promoting repression. Yes, make some books tabu, but tabu implies that when a child is ready, the tabu will be lifted.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring