[bookshare-discuss] Accessible World reminder, Creative Writing, April 21

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:41:34 -0700

    Subject: Accessible World Presents Creative Writing April 21st  Get Ready!

News Wire

The first meeting of Creative Writing is next Tuesday, April 21.  To get you
ready for our first meeting here are a couple assignments!

The core of any good storytelling is your character development.  You start
with characters you know through and through and then let them tell you the
story once you drop them into a situation.  So you are going to concentrate on
developing a set of characters and then adding them to an existing storyline on
a group called Ghostletters.

First, create your main character, your protagonist.  It can be male or female,
human, animal, mythic being, anything you want.  Write up a description of the
character as if seeing him/her/it for the first time.  Think about the
character's manner of speaking, habits, qualities, and flaws.  Don't worry.  We
will work on this for a few sessions.   You can alter your character any time
you want.  Give the character a name.

Then drop this character into the following scenario:

A plane crashes on an uncharted island in the Pacific Ocean.  An odd mixture of
people and other beings are standing around on the beach wondering where they
are.  Sound familiar?  That's where the similarity with the TV show LOST ends.
In our situation people come from history, fiction, reality, and many have no
idea how they got there.  The story has gone on for a couple weeks now, but you
are not late.  We are still getting the story going.  You can write narrative
about the character and what is happening to him/her, or you can write a sort
of letter home from the character.

What you want to do next is send a blank email to this address:

ghostletters-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Once you are approved for membership, you will get several emails from a fellow
calling himself Master Timothy. That's me. You don't have to do only "The
Island"  story line.  You can jump in with any fictional, original or
historical character and tell any story you like.  But for now definitely jump
into The Island.

If you would like to see some of the ongoing story, just go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ghostletters and look at the messages on that
page.  If you have any trouble, let me know at hawthorne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .

We will talk about our characters, on character development in general, and
other creative writing issues at our Tuesday meeting.  See time and location
below.

Nan Hawthorne, Group Facilitator

Email: hawthorne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Tuesday, April 21st, 2009

Time: 6:00 p.m. PDT, 7:00 p.m. MDT, 8:00 p.m. CDT, 9:00 p.m. EDT

         and elsewhere in the world Wednesday 1:00 GMT.

Approximately 15 minutes prior to the event start time; go to the Accessible
World Auditorium at:

http://conference32 1.com/masteradmi n/room.asp? id=rs5affc3cfa19 1

Or, alternatively,

Select the Accessible World Auditorium at: http://www.accessibleworld.org.
enter your first and last name.

All online interactive programs require no password, are free of charge, and
open to anyone worldwide having an Internet connection, a computer, speakers,
and a sound card. Those with microphones can interact audibly with the
presenters and others in the virtual audience or text chat with the attendees.

If you are a first-time user of the Talking Communities online conferencing
software, there is a small, safe software program that you need to download and
then run. A link to the software is available on every entry screen to the
Accessible World online rooms.

Sign up information for all Accessible World News Wires and discussion lists
are also available at our website:

Accessible World Contacts:

Robert Acosta, Chair

Accessible World

818-998-0044

Email: boacosta@pacbell. net

Web: http://www.helpinghands4theblind.org

Joann Becker, Events Coordinator

Accessible World

617-969-1213

Email: joannbecker@xxxxxxxxxxx

George Buys, CEO

Talking Communities

Email: buys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Accessible World, a division of Helping Hands For The Blind, a 501(c)(3)
not-for-profit organization, seeks to educate the general public, the disabled
community and the professionals who serve them by providing highly relevant
information about new products, services, and training opportunities designed
specifically to eliminate geographic and access barriers that adversely affect
them.