[bookport] What Makes These Machines die so Easily?

  • From: Dorothea Martin <dotty-martin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 05:49:37 -0400

Hello,
We have had a couple of posts about Book Ports running into trouble,
mentions of Book Couriers having similar problems, and its seems that the
old Road Runners are dying out, iincluding mine. I have begun to wonder if
there are patterns that can be found linked to things that we may be doing
in certain ways that we could avoid. I don't mean stupid and obvious things
like putting the batteries in the waong way, but what is the effect of
having a gadget as small and light as these readers dangling on the end of
a headphone cord all the time, being jerked about even just a little bit
every time we move? Let us really take note and see if these cases with
speakers will hold the machines steady and let us see if this will cut down
on our problems.
In addition, maybe people at APH might get into this with their ideas of
how we could help prevent our equipment from running into trouble.
Of course, part of the problem is that we are musing machines meant for
light, traveling use as all-purpose, everyday devices. There are
stand-alone digital readers out there that are much more sturdily built
than the Book Port or the other portable readers. Our problem is that we
often can't afford more than one such device. But we should keep this
matter in mind.
Dotty Martin