[bookport] New user question (was Re: Page Bug)

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:27:20 -0400

Well, that's a hard question to answer. First of all, do you mean the page
as the scanner saw it or the page as the BP sees it? They're not necessarily
the same thing at all.

If the person who scanned the book left the headers and footers in the text,
then the actual page number as it appears in the book will appear there and
you'll hear it as the material is read. Many people find these headers and
footers distracting, though, so you may never hear them. Some books from
Bookshare may also contain two sets of page numbers, the print page number
and the braille page number.

The Book Port seemingly considers a page to be a block of material that has
a hex 0C character at its beginning. These may or may not bear any
resemblance to the actual pages in the print book. You can check the page
that the Book Port thinks it's on in the settings and can navigate to any
other page in the book from there.