[bookport] Re: New Hardware

  • From: "ptorpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:07:45 -0400

Although its always temping to wait for the next hardware/software
upgrade or technology when purchasing a product, one could wind up
waiting forever since new products, upgrades, and technologies come to
the market so quickly these days.  As someone on this list already
pointed out, while you're waiting, you don't get use of the product
you're waiting to purchase.  Think of all the folks waiting to buy their
next computer as soon as the prices get lower - Well, they continually
get lower and the power increases - There is never a "best" time!
My philosophy then, is to determine the functionality I desire or
require right now, and purchase the product which fulfills this need.
When new products/technologies become available, one can subsequently
decide to upgrade if the new features or capabilities sufficiently meet
unmet desires or requirements.  Also, its not always a good idea to
count on exactly when the next generation products will appear, since
technology development and market forces are not always as predictable
as we would like.

I too would like to see some of the "wish" list items for the Bookport
appear in a future hardware release, but I sure am enjoying and making
great use of it now!

I'm also very happy to see how receptive the APH developers are to user
input - This has truly led to great advances/upgrades even within the
current hardware context.  I'm confident that APH will continue to
incorporate this feedback in their development efforts and make the
trade-offs which will offer the most functionality and flexibility
possible to users of the Bookport.

I concur with many of the items already mentioned on this list for a
device based on new hardware, including:

*       USB 2.0 - especially as larger CF cards become less expensive
and more audio downloads are available.
*       Real-time audio speed control for audio files
*       A better microphone for improved voice recording of memos
*       Perhaps a small speaker (like in cell phones) for obtaining at
least some audio output without headphones
*       Ability to fast-forward/rewind, and put markers in audio memos
*       Expansion of the braille input capability for writing memos,
changing file names, etc.

Other lower priority items (maybe much in the future or too difficult,
or not useful enough for enough people):
*       Alarms
*       Calendar
*       Radio

And, finally, things I don't particularly want to see:

*       AC adapter - the battery life is so great that I wouldn't want
to carry around anything extra or add additional weight to the Bookport
*       Disk drives - too much power, and large capacity CF cards are
only getting less expensive

About the batteries/adapter, I would like the BP to be able to monitor
the life of rechargeable batteries a bit more precisely.  Although the
battery life is great and its no problem using non-rechargeable
batteries, this is an environmental issue for me.  I like to re-use
whatever resources I can.

That's all for my four cents worth!

-- Pete