[bookport] Re: Headphones to use with Book Port

  • From: "Scott Learned" <learnedtechnology@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:51:43 -0700

Hi Jim,
here are some favorites from list members. this email was posted a couple of
weeks ago.

*What is the best set of headphones to use with the Book Port?*
Members of the Book Port list have recommended the following headphones:

Sennheiser PX100
The Sennheiser PX100's are an open design, meaning they are not a sealed
type head phone.  This type of design is probably not your best choice
if what you are looking to do is keep noise out.  They sound great, and
the best deal going on good sounding head phones at the $50 price range.

The PX 100's are the best set of headphones I've ever owned. They look
very light, but they are deceptively durable.

I can second or third this.  I have a pair of px100's as well, and you
simply can't beat them for the price range.  My favorite low priced head
phones used to be the Koss Porta Pros, but the Sennheizer PX100's now
hold that title in my opinion.  The highs are crisp and clean, and the
lows are deep and well defined, no muddiness at all. They sound terrific
for both spoken audio as well as music, and they are extremely portable.

Sennheiser PXC 250 Headphones
I am extremely happy with my Sennheiser PXC 250 headphones. They are
mid-range in price between the Bose and the Radio Shack and other brands
I have heard and read about. They are comfortable to wear, fold up and
come with a soft-sided case which can be attached to a belt or fanny
pack (also known as a "bum bag/hip bag" in other parts of the world.

Bose Quiet Comfort Headphones
I like the Bose Quiet Comfort headphones. They cost $300.00, but they
are worth every penny. The Bose Noise Canceling headphones allow one to
hear conversation. I've used other noise canceling headphones and I was
disappointed in the results.

Radio Shack Noise Canceling Headphones
Not sure if it is helpful but I bought a set of noise canceling
headphones from Radio Shack for $40. They do not prevent me from hearing
other people but they do cut out the rumble on planes and in cars. I
like the sound they suppress and even the sound they leave. I want to be
able to hear the flight attendant. They take one triple A battery.

Brookstone Airplane Headphones
I absolutely love the folding headphones I purchased from Brookstone
(Brookstone sku # 268227).  They were about $25.00 and are the most
comfortable ear phones I have ever used. They also have a volume control
which is excellent.

Etymotic ER6
I have a pair of Etymotic 4p's which are the big brother to the ER6 and
they do an outstanding job of keeping out any kind of noise.  The thing
about this type of earphone is that they are canal phones meaning they
literally stick into your ear canals, and getting the right sound and
level of isolation depends on making a good seal in your ear canals.
This type of design is not for everyone because it is literally like
taking your 2 index fingers and sticking them into each ear. And some
folks just don't like that feeling.

FutureSonics EM3
I paid $150 for these last Christmas.  These are also in the ear type
phones, using a soft spongy foam insert that are very comfortable in the
ear, and let me tell you that they sound absolutely terrific for both
music and spoken word, and they take up no room. When you hold these in
your hands, the impression you get is that you got gypped, until you put
them in your ears and listen to some music.  The fidelity is
outstanding, perhaps a little heavy on the bass, but that depends on
your source, and material you are listening to.  For $99 on sale, they
are terrific, and do a very good job at keeping out noise.

Hope you can find this helpful.
Scott