[bookport] Foreign Language Support

  • From: Zachary Kline <zkline@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:19:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I suppose this was inspired by the recent inclusion of Spanish language
support into the firmware.
I have a couple of ideas for how it might be improved.
If possible, the reading of accented letters and such should be handled
slightly better.  As is right now, when I move character by character
through a file, I see what amounts to meaningless control sequences, and
misleading representations of these characters.  Granted, when I try and
read the file in Spanish through the normal read key, the characters are
correctly interpreted.
Also, along similar lines, would it be possible to add a French, or other
similar language pronounciation rules?
I believe that most of the Romance family of languages, I.E. those that
descend originally from Latin, and use some variation of the Roman
alphabet ought to be reasonably simple.
The character set conversion and such is another matter, one which I know
next to nothing about.
These are just a few thoughts, feel free to critique as you see fit.
Thank you,
Zack