[bookport] Re: Entering braille

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:04:56 -0400

To use the braille keyboard, turn Book Port 90 degrees from its normal =
operating position, so the compact flash card faces toward your body.  =
When the unit is in this position, think of it now having three rows of =
keys and six columns in each row.  The top row contains the traditional =
braille keys.  The two middle keys on the bottom row act as the Space.  =
(You may use either one of them for Space.)  Immediately left of Space is =
Backspace, and immediately right of Space is Delete.  The far left key on =
the bottom row is braille dot seven, and the far right key is dot eight.  =
The middle row contains these keys (from left to right: Escape, Left =
Arrow, Up Arrow, Down Arrow, Right Arrow, and Enter.

When using the braille keyboard, remember that all braille is computer =
braille; Book Port does not translate or reverse-translate keyboard input. =
 The table that follows shows all the computer braille characters and the =
dot combinations required to produce each character.

Special Characters

In addition to the normal computer braille characters, Book Port supports =
some functions that tell the device to do something else besides entering =
a character into the device.  Think, for instance, of how the backspace =
works on a normal computer keyboard.

Chorded Commands

In addition to normal characters and special keys, Book Port supports =
chorded commands.  Chorded commands are made by holding down the Space =
while typing a letter.  Often these chorded commands are defined to help =
you remember what they are.  The F-Chord, for example, enters Book Port's =
Find command.=20

>>> james.jolley1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Monday, October 18, 2004 10:33:40 AM >>>
Hi Folks,
How exactly do I get the find text string to work using braille characters?=
  I obviously know that you enter F chord, but what numbers represent =
what?  Can someone give me a step by step as the manual isn't all that =
clear on it.

Best

-James-