[bookport] Re: Disconnecting Book Port

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 05:56:41 -0400

No to both questions. Windows ME is nothing more than Windows 98 with
steroids and as such, isn't nearly so robust in terms of USB connectivity.
Not closing down the device under ME probably won't have any really serious
effect unless you later try to reconnect it during the same session (that
is, without rebooting first) and simply pulling the plug under XP is fine.
This is how I've done it with my Otis, Nomad Muvo, and Book Port and there's
no problem. XP supports better "hot swapping" than ME and about the only
thing you really shouldn't simply disconnect under XP is a CompactFlash card
in a CF card reader/burner.