[bookport] Daisy books was RE: Re: A workaround for large file placement

  • From: "Rusty Perez" <rusty.perez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:33:56 -0700

Hi Roy,
Wow! Six CD's! Amazing!
Well, are you able to go in to the setting keypad and jump to a page?
Remember, if you're new at the BP, you arrow up and down with 2 and 8 to get
to where it says, "page." Does it give you page numbers there? By pressing
5, you can enter a page number, and press pound to go to the entered page.
If the book is one which has been converted to CD but was originally on
tape, things may be a little messy. It may be that you won't hear the page
number, because the digital mark was placed after the number was recorded.
Also, use your page forward and backward commands, 7 and 9 to go from page
to page.
I find that RFB isn't any too generous with their heading and subheading
markers. And, the truth is that sometimes they don't make much sense to me.

But, when you select to have files "not" sent as music, BP puts in markers
based on pauses in the recorded text. So, by pressing 4 and 6 you can go
between roughly paragraph sized sections of text. 1 and 3 goes even smaller.
It's not exact, but it works. You can also compress the text to get more on
the BP. Here's how to set that up. Go in to the bookport transfer software.
Go to options. Tab to the place where it asks "transfer audio files as
music?" Say no on that. Then you will be given an advanced audio settings
button. You'll find some good stuff there. You can sellect whether you'd
like the file to be sped up. You can tell BP to cut spaces down between
words.

 If you have more questions, please let me  know.
I've had pretty good success with daisy files. I do wish there were no size
limitations, but we're headed that direction so I'm happy.
Rusty

Skype: rustyperez
Yahoo and AIM: reliroo
Check out my blog at