[bookport] Bookshare and Daisy formatted periodicals

  • From: "ptorpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 08:47:56 -0400

I recently joined Bookshare and began downloading periodicals to my
Bookport.
In particular, I downloaded the Daisy format of the New York Times.

Although the Bookport readily navigates from section to section with the
7 and 9 keys, I don't see any easy way of navigating to articles within
sections.  Perhaps it would be a good idea if the Bookport could be made
to recognize sections, and various levels of sub-sections as with the
Victor Reader software.  There seems to be plenty of room to add such a
feature since not all of the keystrokes have functions for both "beep"
and "no beep" modes of holding down the keys.

Even with the BRF version of braille magazines from NLS, it would be
nice if we could navigate from article to article with sections.  For
example, in the New York Times Large Print "Weekly, one can navigate to
the "Business" section easily using the 9 key, but it is difficult to
find the beginnings of articles within the Business section.  Some of
this may be due to the navigation capabilities of the Bookport, but some
of this may also be due to how NLS formats their material between
articles.  Maybe NLS / Bookshare can work together to make this easier
for users.  This isn't the only magazine or material where this is an
issue.

Anyway, it sure is nice to have the array of periodicals on Bookshare
(from working together with NFB) which can now be downloaded and read on
the Bookport.

-- Pete