[bookport] Book Port hangs when reading Spyder-generated text files

  • From: Peter Rand <peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:12:01 +0100

Hi,

Lately I've noticed that my Book Port is having problems reading some
files in text format, in particular text that I downloaded using the
Book Port Spyder.

Here's what happens:
1. I'm listening to a text such as BBC or Boston.com news, when suddenly
there's a god-awful screech (like a cat
being run over by a car) in the headphones and the Book Port comes to a
grinding halt.

2. Most of the keys are then unresponsive, but pressing the "8" key
generally allows Book Port
to continue reading the text, although the speed is drastically slower
than before the terrible screeching
sound. (Although when I go to the settings section, it says that there
has been no change in reading speed).

3. Sometimes, following the screeching sound, the Book Port emits a
recurring string of other weird sounds, and
none of the keys respond. In these cases, I have to remove the batteries
in order to reset the Book Port.

This problem generally occurs while the Book Port is reading the first
line of an article title. For example,
in the text below the Book Port simply stops reading at about the term
"gun-control":

"_next article_
8
Boston.com / News / World / Latin America/Caribbean / In Brazil, buyback
program part of ambitious gun-control effort Today's
GlobePoliticsOpinionMagazineEducationScienceNECNSpecial
reportsObituariesTrafficWeatherHomeNewsWorldLatin America/Caribbean"

So if the problem occurs, it is invariably when reading the first line
following a "_next article_" tag. The problem
doesn't occur with text files such as ebooks, only the text files I
download using the Spyder.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? And more importantly,
how can I fix this problem?

Peter