[bookport] Book Port Spyder - generic names for pending files

  • From: Peter Rand <peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 08:24:32 +0200

Hi Larry/Rob,

I really like the Spyder and am doing more and more of my web-browsing
with the Spyder.
One problem I've noticed is the automatic naming of  text files stored
in the "Transfer/Pending"
directory.

Many web-sites have different sections with names like "Top news",
"Health", "Science" etc. For
such websites, I create three separate Spyder shortcuts. But when Spyder
downloads the information
in my "Top news" shortcut, it saves the info to the pending folder with
the generic name, e.g., of  "news.txt".
When I then download the data in my "Health" shortcut, it also saves the
info to the pending folder as "news.txt",
thereby overwriting the first file I downloaded.

Can the user have some more input over the naming of  files which are
downloaded, or could Spyder at least
prevent files from being overwritten by giving subsequent files names
like "news1.txt", "news2.txt", "news3.txt"?
At present, I have to wait until the Spyder is finished with a download,
then manually re-name the file, and only then
continue with the next Spyder download.

Regards,

Peter