[bookport] Audible info

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:10:57 +1300

Hello to all!

Today I got the answers to the problems I reported yesterday. I thought my
experience might be useful to others, so I wanted to share what I've
learned.

Yesterday, I reported being unable to find a book "Seabiscuit" when
searching their web site. I thought this odd because this was one of the
books offering a brief sample when I was debating joining. When I reported
my problem here, Barbara Jone responded that she had no problem locating the
book. This caused me to think I must have done something wrong in organising
my search. So I went back and tried a few more times, only to experience the
same results I'd previously received. In the course of my discussion with
Audible Tech Support today, I learned that they do not have international
distribution rights to this book, which is why my searches suggest it isn't
available. This is something that is never mentioned in their promotional
information, a fact which I consider to be most unfortunate.

The other thing that I learned was that I had installed Audible Manager
incorrectly. I'm not sure how that happened as I followed the instructions
as carefully as I could. But the gentleman I spoke with offered to fix it
through remote access. This was fun to watch as I had not previously seen
remote desktop in action.

My conclusions. I'm not sure if I will continue my membership in Audible or
not. It will be determined largely by how many more times I encounter the
inability to read what I want from them due to international copyright
restrictions, which clearly lowers the value of the money I spend with them.
I am satisfied, though, that their tech support is extremely competent and
did result in solving my problems in a very helpful and cordial manner.

David Allen