[bookport] 2gb CF cards, things you should know

  • From: "Chris Zenchenko" <wb9rsq@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:33:45 -0500

First let me state that this information is a collection of observations and
experimentation.
Other people may see different results but if issues, conditions and
performance problems match these situations maybe this will help you.

Problem: a 2gb CF card in a Bookport or Book Courier behaves in some or all
of the following ways.
1.  Card says there is no space remaining even when it's empty.
2.  Card says there is only .99 GB available when there is nothing currently
on the card.
3.  Bookport slows down or quits responding when entering some folders on
the card.  This might be some or all of the folders.
4.  Formatting card on the Port or Courier does not fix any of these issues.

Solution:
The card when installed in a card reader or your Bookport shows up on your
computer as a FAT32 rather than a FAT drive when you view properties.
You need to format the card from your computer and in the format dialog make
sure you scroll down to FAT.  The default is FAT32 because that is what the
card is currently formatted in.
Once you have successfully formatted the card in FAT you should find that it
behaves as it should when placed back in your Bookport.

Further discussion:
Many devices format the 2GB cards in FAT32.  The Bookport for some reason
does not like FAT32 unless it is a 4GB or larger card.
If the format is FAT32 the Bookport will just reformat in that system rather
than reverting to FAT for the 2GB cards.
I have tested this on 5 different brands and I do not believe it is
manufacturer related.
Following the basic rule of never formatting a card at or below 2GB as FAT32
your Bookport should work well.
I have not found a method for forcing the Bookport to revert to FAT on these
2GB cards but from your computer it is an easy fix.
The behavior of slow or no response in folders on a FAT32 formatted 2GB card
is not uniform and does not appear to be related to size of the folder.
If you always move files on and off of your Bookport via the transfer
utility rather than moving the card to an external reader you could be
fooled in to thinking the Bookport is defective because of the slow transfer
rate coupled with the slow or nonresponse of your Bookport.
FAT formatted 2GB cards are a good compromise for size and cost.  I have
seen cards as low as $13.95 for a 45X 2gb card.
Be warned however that in every case when these cards have arrived they were
formatted in FAT32 so it was necessary to format them in FAT before
installing them in the Bookport.
After formatting them the Bookport format will keep them FAT and it will add
it's folders and a copy of the manual.

73