[bookcourier] Enhancement Suggestions

  • From: Katie Walker <katie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:06:46 -0800

Hi Debee, Darren, and others who have made enhancement suggestions,

I've read through all the recent suggestions for Transfer Tool improvements and passed them on to Steve. Thank you for taking the time to put everything in writing -- it's a big help for us. We are planning a new release in the near future with support for RFB&D DAISY titles as well as some fixes. We will look closely at these recent suggestions to see if we can easily include them in the release. I do want to mention one very important factor that we all need to keep in mind regarding any enhancements: Digital Rights Management (DRM). We have several content partners who are very concerned about BookCourier's ability to perform DRM. These partners won't work with us if we can't ensure that their content goes only to those people who have paid for it. For this reason, we have chosen not to make the Transfer Tool an open source application. This is also a big factor in creating some kind of card reader transfer solution. Yes, transfers would be much faster if we took advantage of today's USB 2.0 card readers, but we also must ensure that the data we transfer is encrypted for a particular BookCourier that has been registered or activated for a particular content provider. This isn't to say that card reader transfers can't be done -- only that it's not a slam dunk.

Again, thanks for your input.
Katie

Katie Walker
Springer Design, Inc.